Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Are Margaret Atwood books any good?

I like classic, post apocalyptic, dystopian and social novels. Some of my recent reads include:


The Giver - Lois Lowry


Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes


Such a Long Journey - Rohinton Mystery


A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley


Blindness - Jose Saramago





Next on my list is The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood.


Do you like her books? Why or why not? Thanks.

Are Margaret Atwood books any good?
I think she really went downhill after 'The Blind Assassin'. I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction myself but her recent Oryx and Crake is dreadful - even though it won the Booker.
Reply:I like many of her books very much and a few not too much at all, but there are some I didn't care for the first time but liked much better the second. She is brilliant and a very good and interesting writer. Judging by some of the titles you listed I think you might enjoy her and she is certainly worth reading. The Handmaid's Tale is somewhat of a contemporary classic and if you're into dystopian fiction you should be familiar with it anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment